The car was covered in frost this morning. What clearer sign could there be from The Universe that I should be chain-drinking hot beverages? (Although, to be honest, I consider all seasons appropriate for coffee, hot chocolate, and tea!)
Here’s my simple go-to recipe for my evening mug o’ cocoa. I like to whip this up after the kids are in bed; it makes the next several hours of work (and various child interruptions) more enjoyable. (Oh, I do know how to spoil myself, don’t I?)
Joy in a mug
- 1 heaping teaspoon unsweetened cocoa
- 1/4 cup hot water
- 1 cup soy/almond/coconut milk (my fave lately is an unsweetened almond-coconut blend; I’ll let you know when I start making my own nut milk. Don’t hold your breath.)
- 1 T raw sugar/maple syrup OR 1 packet truvia
- dash of salt
- dash of cinnamon
- 1 t. vanilla extract
1. Mix cocoa powder into hot water to dissolve.
2. Add the rest of the ingredients and heat over stove (or in microwave) to desired temperature.
3. Pour into your fanciest, most delicate heirloom mug – enjoy. Mmmmm.
ps: I am going to try making vegan marshmallows this weekend. I think this just might propel this cocoa into the stratosphere! 🙂